Founded in 2015, Gloucester, Massachusetts-based startup Cometeer wants to give traditional coffee a boost and hopes to change its consumption through the creation of frozen coffee pods.
AN ALTERNATIVE TO STANDARD COFFEE
How can you drink frozen coffee? The principle is simple: the company brews coffee with special quality beans from an impressive list of roasters, then immediately freezes it with liquid nitrogen at -314 degrees. The frozen coffee is then presented in small pods.
To brew this special coffee, you just need to infuse the pods like an effervescent medicine. You have to meet them by immersing them in a cup of hot or cold water, wait a bit, and get a cup of coffee. All you need is a little water, depending on whether you want hot or cold coffee.
This innovation is ideal for people who want to have their coffee on the go or discover new flavors, because all you need is a container, water, and a capsule, and you’re ready to go. The capsules, on the other hand, stay fresh for up to three years if you store them in the freezer and survive for about three days in the refrigerator.
COMETEER ON THE WIND
Cometeer has grown tremendously over the past two years, growing from 12 to 120 employees since its previous round of funding with multiple companies, raising as much as $ 35 million. For now, the coffee firm is focused solely on its direct-to-consumer business.
“ALTHOUGH WE ARE CURRENTLY FOCUSED ON DIRECT SALE TO CONSUMERS, WE ARE TESTING COFFEE SOLUTIONS ON-SITE WITH GEORGE HOWELL COFFEE IN BOSTON AND WE PILOT B2B COFFEE SOLUTIONS WITH A PRINCIPLE OF GIVING TO BUSINESS. “
explains Mr. Roberts, co-founder, and CEO of Cometeer
A STARTUP COMMITTED TO ECOLOGY
On the Cometeer home page, we read: “A new day has arrived on Earth for coffee”. That said, coffee comes in pod form, a receptacle criticized for being harmful to the environment. To be clear, the company makes the pods more environmentally friendly compared to its direct competitors. In addition, the pods are made of aluminum capsules and are recyclable. A pod is, among other things, 90% recyclable, the remaining 10% being the lid and the coffee grounds which can be recycled thanks to the compost, a major advance against environmental pollution.
From farm to cup, a lot can go wrong in the coffee chain, which can turn your morning coffee into a real blow to Mother Nature. But, with brands like Cometeer taking another step forward every day to make coffee better, both for consumers and for the environment, we are on the right track for gradual improvement.
Find Tazah, another startup that improves working conditions for farmers, but also limits pollution.